Sunday, December 18, 2011

Scattered Seed


I’ve been working with Christian ministries in some form for more than ten years.  (If you want to read more about my professional journey, click here).  In that time, I’ve come to realize two truths:

1) Everyone has a ministry calling from God. 

                Yes, you read that right – YOU are a minister.  Doesn’t matter if you are a stay-at-home mom whose only contact with an adult is the mailman (and I’ve been there!), a cubicle-dwelling businessman,  or a card-carrying, licensed minister – God desires to use you right where we are, right at this moment.  We all have an impact on someone – the question is what kind of impact is it?  This brings me to my next point:

2)  It is up to each of us to recognize and develop our ministry callings, so that God may use them (and us) as He chooses.

Can’t claim authorship of this – it’s straight from Jesus' parable of the scattered seed.  God gave each person a calling, a seed of an idea.  Some people never recognize their calling – and the seed never gets planted.   Sometimes we don’t fully understand what God wants us to do before we go charging ahead – and we try to plant the seed in rocky soil, where it can’t take root. Sometimes we make a bit of headway in our calling, only to be distracted by other “weeds” – pressures from society, temptations, or just the general “busy”ness of life.  Our seed sprouts, grows a little, but the weeds choke us.
Sometimes, though, we get it right.  And that ministry opportunity blossoms, and we experience the joy of doing what we were asked to do, and the subsequent approval from our Father.


As for me, I love to garden (both literally, and figuratively).  I’m constantly amazed by all the variety I see in the plants around me – so many beautiful sizes, textures, and colors.  But nothing pleases me more than seeing a plant that is struggling become established and begin bearing fruit. 
For me, this blog is an extension of my calling to nurture ministry.  It’s a place to write down what God reveals, process what I’ve seen and heard, and share the wisdom of others who are in the garden with me.  I hope you’ll find it helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment